Before the calendar officially rolls over into 2017, I want to share my progress on my 2016 New Year’s resolutions. While I surpassed my “realistic” goal of accomplishing half of my list, I still left seven resolutions unfinished. Some of these were conscious choices, others resulted from procrastination or neglect. However, each taught me valuable lessons that I’ll be carrying into 2017.
1. Write five days a week (C, but based on past experience, LOL)
I had an epiphany this year – I don’t have to write every day. And, given my current situation in life, it’s almost impossible for me to write new material while editing/revising a completed manuscript. Next year, my goal will be to “create” five days a week (be it writing or editing). However, I did some form of creation for roughly half of the days in 2016, so that’s better than my past records.
2. Finish Desertera #2 (E) 3. Publish Desertera #2 (C)
4. Write Desertera #3 (DD)
At least I’ve started it!
5. Publish Desertera #3 (DD)
If I would have taken into account how much time my nonfiction projects would consume, I would have known this was unobtainable (aka LOL) for 2016.
6. Write a book for fun (LOL)
7. Write all nonfiction booklets (E) 8. Publish all nonfiction booklets (E) 9. Publish nonfiction compilation (C)
11. Read 50 books (C) 12. Make $1,000 from my author business (C, maybe DD)
13. Adhere to my marketing plan (C)
Started off strong, but petered out in the second half of the year. Takeaway: I need to refine my marketing goals and make a less time-consuming plan.
14. Send two email newsletters per month (C) 15. Update my author website/platform (revise each quarter) (E)
17. Keep migraines to one per month (or less!) (DD) – Perhaps my best accomplishment of all!
18. Exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week (LOL)
We did really well for a few months … but not enough.
19. Record my three daily gratitudes (C)
Barely managed this. I think I’ll be letting go of journaling in 2017.
20. Visit a new state (E)
21. Go to the 9/11 Memorial in NYC (E)
We decided to wait on this one until our parents visit in the spring.
22. Visit home (summer) (C) 23. Visit home (Christmas) (E)
Final count: 16/23
Did you accomplish all of your 2016 New Year’s resolutions? What did you learn from your successes and failures this year? Share in the comments!