To mark the halfway point of 2016, I’ve got a special month-end update today. In the first part, I’ll do the usual June recap. Some highlights? Desertera #2 is finally with the line editor, and 100 Action & Adventure Writing Prompts (Fiction Ideas Vol. 6) is published AND FREE through tomorrow.
In the second part, I’ll be catching you (and myself!) up with my New Year’s Resolutions. My biggest accomplishment? *knock on wood* I’ve only had ONE major migraine attack this year! I never thought I’d hit that goal, and I’m incredibly thankful they’ve mostly subsided.
Before you dive into all the bullet points, I want to highlight three exciting July activities.
Second, tomorrow I’ll be hosting the Fire & Lies Goodreads takeover. Head over at 3 P.M. Eastern U.S. time to chat science fiction and fantasy and enter to win a FREE ebook copy of The Cogsmith’s Daughter (Desertera #1) – OR Desertera #2, if you’ve already read TCD.
Last, this month I’ll be unveiling the title of Desertera #2. Since I’ve put it off so long, I’ve decided to make an even bigger deal out of it and run a contest! Stay tuned for details (and chances to win advance review or signed copies of Desertera #2)!
- Blog Posts Written — 7 (and one reblog)
- Fiction Words Written — 0
- # of Days I Wrote Fiction — 0
- Nonfiction Prompts Written — 100 prompts (plus front/back matter material)
- # of Days I Wrote Nonfiction — 7
- Outlines Written — 0
- Days Without Writing and/or Editing — 13
- Drafts Revised — Content Edit of Desertera #2 (plus a quick second pass)
- # of Days I Revised — 10
- Books Finished
- Books Begun/In-Progress
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- The Writer’s Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Christopher Vogler
- Cat and Mouse by A.M. Offenwanger
- Books Reviewed
*Remember, I review every book I read on my Goodreads page.
Author Business Activities
- Published 100 Action & Adventure Writing Prompts (Fiction Ideas Vol. 6)
- Sent Desertera #2 to the line editor!
- Participated in Sterling & Stone’s Story Seller’s Bootcamp
- Gave an author interview
- Watched a live Q&A with Joanna Penn
Goals for July
I’ve got a few exciting things planned for July — I’d stay close if I were you!
- Announce Desertera #2‘s title with a contest!
- Complete all line editing for Desertera #2 (pending editor’s schedule)
- Cover design for Desertera #2
- Write and publish my next creative writing prompts booklet
- An author interview on Kate Evans’s website
- Participate in Camp NaNoWriMo
- Participate in the Indie Pride Day Book Blast (today!)
- Participate in the Fire & Lies Goodreads takeover (tomorrow!)
New Year’s Resolutions
So far, I’m on track to hit my goal of 50% of my resolutions. As a quick refresher — our family tradition is to make one resolution for each year of your age. Therefore, I try to shoot for the stars and at least hit the moon!
My difficult code: E (easy), C (challenging), DD (damn difficult), LOL (…yeah…)
1. Write five days a week (C, but based on past experience, LOL) – If by “write,” I mean draft OR edit, then I think I’m on track.
2. Finish Desertera #2 (E)
3. Publish Desertera #2 (C) – On track!
4. Write Desertera #3 (DD) – On track!
5. Publish Desertera #3 (DD) – Not happening
6. Write a book for fun (LOL) – I repeat: LOL.
7. Write all nonfiction booklets (E) – On track!
8. Publish all nonfiction booklets (E) – On track!
9. Publish nonfiction compilation (C) – On track!
10. Publish two blog posts per week (C) – On track!
11. Read 50 books (C) – Way ahead!!!
12. Make $1,000 from my author business (C, maybe DD) – Still possible with the upcoming book launch
13. Adhere to my marketing plan (C) – More or less, need to re-evaluate
14. Send two email newsletters per month (C) – Doing it!
15. Update my author website/platform (revise each quarter) (E) – Check!
16. Keep Daniel and myself student loan free (DD) – WOOT!
17. Keep migraines to one per month (or less!) (DD) – DOUBLE WOOT!
18. Exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week (LOL) – Hahahaha.
19. Record my three daily gratitudes (C) – Yup!
20. Visit a new state (E) Rhode Island & Massachusetts
21. Go to the 9/11 Memorial in NYC (E) – Hopefully this fall
22. Visit home (summer) (C) – Tickets booked!
23. Visit home (Christmas) (E) – Tickets booked!
Who else has accomplishments to share from June? How are your New Year’s Resolutions coming along? What are your plans for the rest of 2016?