Month-End Update: May 2016

Happy June, everyone! I hope you all had a productive and fun May (if so, feel free to share your achievements in the comments!). Professionally, I didn’t get as far in my revisions of Desertera #2 as I would have liked, but Daniel and I did have a few unexpected (but welcome) social engagements pop up throughout the month, so personally, it was a great few weeks.

As I head into June, I am going to keep my focus on a few big goals. First, I’ll be finishing the content edit revisions of Desertera #2, so that it can go to line editing at the end of the month. As always, I’ll be working on my next nonfiction booklet, 100 Action & Adventure Writing Prompts, and if time allows, I am more than ready to dive into Desertera #3.

Last, I wanted to let you all know that I have officially joined Tumblr. You can find me at http://katemcolby.tumblr.com. If you’re also on Tumblr, feel free to follow me, and I’ll happily return the favor!

But first, let’s recap May:

Writing

• Blog Posts Written — 8
  • Fiction Words Written — 0
  • # of Days I Wrote Fiction — 0
  • Nonfiction Prompts Written — 100 prompts (plus front/back matter material)
  • # of Days I Wrote Non-Fiction — 10
  • Outlines Written — 1 (100 Action & Adventure Writing Prompts)
  • Days Without Writing and/or Editing — 12

Editing/Revising

• Drafts Revised — Content Edit of Desertera #2 (over 2/3 through the manuscript)
  • # of Days I Revised — 9

Reading

*Remember, I review every book I read on my Goodreads page.

Author Business Activities

Goals for June

• Finish the content edit revisions of Desertera #2
  • Write and publish 100 Action & Adventure Writing Prompts
  • Begin drafting Desertera #3

Who else has accomplishments to share from May? What are your goals for June? Share in the comments!

19 thoughts on “Month-End Update: May 2016

1. velociraptor256 says:

My main goal for June is to finish my latest audiobook: at this point, I’ve finished the main recording and just need to edit. That’s been my main focus in May (though I did do a field biology course as well), as well as my blog schedule, so I haven’t really done any fiction writing since Camp Nanowrimo fell apart. Hopefully I can change that this month. Wishing you all the best, Kate!

2. Helen Jones says:

Well, I managed to publish my third Ambeth book in May, and I’ve a fourth (unrelated to Ambeth) lined up for editing. So not a bad month, writing wise 🙂 Still, can’t believe how quickly this year is flying fast!
    Cheers to you for a very busy May, and good luck with Desertera #2 and #3

• Helen Jones says:

Hehe – well, it might sound like I am, but I wrote four Ambeth books before I published the first one, so it’s just been a case of editing and polishing to get each one out. In a bit of a panic about five and six now… although they are also underway. And the other book was my NaNo produce from two years ago – once again polished it up and sent it out to beta readers. It’s a sort of fantasy, but quite different to Ambeth, and it’s a stand alone, no sequels required. 🙂

• Helen Jones says:

Thanks, Kate! I didn’t mean to do it, it just worked out that way – the story was sort of pouring out of me for about two years straight. I do know how it all ends, so now I just need to gather up the threads and make it happen 🙂 And so, does this mean you’ve another series idea in the works…?

• Kate M. Colby says:

That’s the best – when the story won’t leave you alone, and you can just write it all out. 🙂

I actually have a few series ideas in the works, but for now, I’m keeping my main focus on my Desertera novels. I have a general idea for when I would like to start writing my next series, but I’m just letting it all simmer in the back of my mind until I’m in a position to dedicate proper time to the idea.

• Helen Jones says:

And then you’ll probably find the story will pour out of you, once you sit down and write. It is the best feeling – I know how this Ambeth series ends, but I have a few short stories in the back of my head as well. Then there’s a few more ideas waiting….