The 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour – Brittany Boyce

Brittany Boyce

brittanyI live in Northern Virginia, just outside D.C., with my husband of almost four years and two beautiful furbabies. I have been writing ever since I was a child, strongly throughout the middle and high school years. In fact I have an entire box of random story ideas from that time period, which I assure you are all hilarious in their lovely teenage angst. I’m currently in the editing process of what will be my debut novel, which I hope to self-publish this year.

What is the first piece you remember writing (from childhood or young adulthood)?

I don’t remember the first piece I wrote – but I do remember the first short story I had published. It was in my senior year literary journal, which in my Creative Writing class I also had the privilege of helping to edit and put together. I gobbled up more copies of the journal than I needed, just to show my family and friends that my story had been published. It was a short little love story, something I don’t write as much anymore, but it certainly fed the bug of wanting to one day publish a full novel.

What is your favorite aspect of being a writer? Your least favorite?

I absolutely love coming up with characters and new worlds. Fantasy fiction is just so unlimited that it’s almost freeing to take these characters out of my head and plant them in a world I created out of thin air and dreams.

My least favorite – editing. Enough said.

Do you believe in writer’s block? If so, what is your best tip for beating it? If not, why not?

I do believe in writer’s block, how can I not? I suffered it for years. Stress, depression and the general craziness that is life won out over any creative energy, blocking my ability to write anything, even something as miniscule as a short poem. My best tip for beating it is to write anything. Keep a journal, start a blog, write something, anything, keep the habit up because eventually the muse will return and when she does it’s usually with a vengeance.

What is your current writing project? What is the most challenging aspect of your current writing project?

As previously stated I am working on finishing my first novel and self-publishing it this year. It’s a new adult fantasy fiction story that came to me in a dream, literally. I worked for nine years on the first 20,000 words (thanks writer’s block) and then thanks to encouragement from my husband I took a writing class as well as participated in my firstNaNoWriMo. So now I have all the scenes and have reached what I lovingly refer to as my Achilles heel…editing.

What supports you in your writing?

My husband, my family and my friends are really the best supporters of my writing. They’re the behind the scenes people that keep me sitting down at my computer and working hard.  Also my blog has become a fantastic support – the readers, many of whom are also authors, all working towards the same dream. It’s really encouraging, especially on those days when I’m pretty sure my dream is never going to come true, having my readers encourage me and lift me back up.

What are you currently reading?

Currently I am reading the second book in the Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor called Days of Blood and Starlight. It’s absolute fantastic! Her characters are so vivid that they leap off the page, fiery wings and blue haired. I highly recommend them – and I haven’t even finished it yet. It’s a dark series, but filled with sarcasm and laughter, a tragic love, and a new world so amazing I wish it were real, despite that it’s completely filled with war at the moment.

Where can our readers find you and your books online?

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Author Interviews, Fiction Blog
18 comments on “The 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour – Brittany Boyce
  1. Kara Jorgensen says:

Reblogged this on The Writer's Habitarium: the Blog of Author Kara Jorgensen and commented:
    Check out Brittany Boyce’s interview

2. Reblogged this on Writing Ourselves Well and commented:
    Welcome Brittany to the next leg of our 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour

3. Reblogged this on 51stories and commented:
    today’s writer is Brittany Boyce:

4. Thanks for the great interview, Brittany! I had a similar problem to you with getting out my first manuscript. I worked for years to write a complete novel, always failing, and then finally it all just clicked during NaNoWriMo. I also empathize with you on the editing. For me, my dislike of editing is that it takes so much longer for me to edit than write a first draft, and it’s the last step “in the way” of getting professionals involved. Hopefully we both make it through our edits soon (and sane)!

• Yes editing is seriously taking me a lot longer than I wanted…but if takes me nine years (like the first part of my novel did) I might be publishing from the nuthouse! Haha – thank you for the interview and this entire Blog Tour – it’s so great to gt to know all these other authors!

5. […] We’re back with another interview for the blog tour.  You can find the original posts here and here. […]

6. I am finding these author sit downs quite inspiring. I’ll be sharing this on twitter because it is a big crowd out there to be seen.

7. Reblogged this on To Write With a Broken Pencil is Pointless and commented:
    The 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour has a very familiar person today! Enjoy my interview! 🙂

8. Fia Essen says:

Reblogged this on Fia Essen and commented:
    Brittany Boyce is working on finishing her first novel and publishing it this year.

9. Reblogged this on Reading Over People's Shoulders… and commented:
    Another day another writer! Check out this awesome gal!

10. lightwalker1 says:

Reblogged this on Lightwalkers Blog and commented:
    Check out Brittany Boyce. She is a dream writer of Fantasy fiction and today’s 2K international Writers’ Blog Tour featured author.

In honor of World Poetry Day, here's one of my favorite poems, written back in 2012.