The 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour – Fia Essen

Fia Essen

FiaFia Essen – that’s me. I grew up on the move, and then I kept going. I still haven’t really settled down anywhere. I’m not ready to say I’ve settled. You could say I got lost in transition. But I’ve found some great people and places on my journey to… well, destination unknown. And my journey through life is what gives me ideas for the stories I write.

What is the first piece you remember writing (from childhood or young adulthood)?

I wrote a short story when I was nine years old. I had just started a new school in Dubai and I was still learning English. Predictably, the story was about the adventures of a girl from Sweden who had just moved to “The Desert of Arabia”.

What is your favorite aspect of being a writer? Your least favorite?

The best thing about being a writer is being my own boss. It’s also the worst thing about being a writer. It’s not a “regular” 9-5 job, and I don’t get a regular paycheck. Nonetheless, I’m serious about my writing. Writing is my job and I give it my all.

Do you believe in writer’s block? If so, what is your best tip for beating it? If not, why not?

I can’t say I believe in writer’s block. Having said this, I can only speak from my own experience. As I mentioned above, writing is my job. I sit down and I do the work. Every day! I don’t expect inspiration to hit me out of the blue. I’m not that kind of writer. I don’t get struck by sudden flashes of brilliance. I work hard to create a story that I hope someone will ultimately enjoy reading.

What is your current writing project? What is the most challenging aspect of your current writing project?

At the moment, I’m working on a novel called Ariel, which is about a woman who has lost control of her life and finds herself stuck in a rut. Currently, Ariel is being looked over by an editor. Personally, I think the editing process is one of the most challenging aspects of writing. It requires patience and an open mind. The thing to remember is that both you and your editor want the same thing – for your story to be the best it can be.

What supports you in your writing?

It’s not a what. It’s a who. Her name is Sanna, and she’s my mum.

What are you currently reading?

Blogs. I’ve recently started blogging myself and I’m having a wonderful time reading what other bloggers are writing. If you’re a writer or interested in writing, there are plenty of both established and aspiring writers that share tips and useful information on their blogs. Much appreciated!

Where can our readers find you and your books online?

You can find my 100 Word Blog at https://essenfia.wordpress.com/ . As soon as Ariel is released, I’ll write an overjoyed post about it. Meanwhile, I’d love it if you drop by and take a gander at my daily posts.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Author Interviews, Fiction Blog
24 comments on “The 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour – Fia Essen
  1. Reblogged this on 51stories and commented:
    We’re back on the tour:

2. coffeennotes says:

Great post 🙂 Fia is such an amazing person and I love her blog so much 🙂

3. coffeennotes says:

Reblogged this on and commented:
    Fia is such an amazing person and I love her blog so much 🙂
    Great interview Fia. I love that you see your writing as your job. It took me a few years to get there, but now writing is my job 😀
    Can’t wait for your story to come out. Ariel sounds like a great story to read.

4. This is a lovely interview, Fia! I really appreciate your commit to your writing career and how practically you look at it. You are definitely a role model for me and where I would like my career to be one day!

5. Reblogged this on To Write With a Broken Pencil is Pointless and commented:
    It’s Monday – so we’re back to The 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour! Enjoy learning about Fia Essen as I did!

6. […] Week two is now on for the blog tour.  As always, you can read the original interview on the two Kates’ blogs here and here. […]

7. lightwalker1 says:

Reblogged this on Lightwalkers Blog and commented:
    Fia Essen is a hardworking author whose novel “Ariel” is in the editing process. Take a look at her 100 Word Blog.

8. lightwalker1 says:

Reblogged, shared with Facebook and Twitter

9. Great post.

I do notice the spirit of the eternal wanderer in you. I suppose it is this wandering which gives you the fuel to live your life on your own terms. So, as you live thus, what is the created future you are living into?

Shakti

10. […] blogger. I first encountered Fia through her blog, but I have also been lucky enough to host her on The 2K International Writers’ Blog Tour. Today, Fia is back to share with you all the best piece of writing advice she has: write what you […]

Our final road trip adventure: returning to Salem! This time, my highlight was visiting the probable burial site of Rebecca Nurse.